From the start I've been complaining that IW didn't include the AK74u this time round. But after all this time, I think I've figured out why.
Let's compare the UMP45 and AK74u from CoD4
- Fire Rate: 800RPM. Kills faster in CQB than the UMP.
- Damage: 40-20
- Recoil: Vertical but predictable. You knew how the gun was going to react every single time you shot it. Made it easier to pull off mid-long range shots. You could go full auto at anything other than very long range.
- Reload time: Extremely fast if you did the reload cancel.
- Penetration factor: 2. Assault Rifle.
- Fire Rate: 630RPM
- Damage: 40-35
- Recoil: Visually, not as extreme as the AK74u. But it has mixture of vertical and horizontal kick, which makes pulling off long range shots more difficult.
- Reload Time: Average. Slower than the 74u.
- Penetration factor: 1. SMG.
The 74u wins in every category but damage. Which the predictable recoil and rate of fire pretty much make up for at long range anyway. So if the 74u was included in the game with the same stats as it had in CoD4, it'd overpower even the UMP, widely considered the most user-friendly and 'best' SMG in the game.